January 28, 2007

Waiting for the invitation

I added my timeline over there on the sidebar for reference.

Right now I'm just waiting for the invitation. Headquarters has notified me that I will be serving in a non-malarial country, meaning I will be going to Eastern Europe/Central Asia most likely. I'm also eligible to serve in a handful of Pacific Islands and Morocco as well. This also means that my assignment (Secondary Science Education) might change, since my assignment was made before they knew I was G6PD deficient. If it does change, I won't mind. I wasn't terribly attached to that assignment, and I wanted to do TEFL in the first place, since that could ostensibly help me work toward a degree in applied linguistics, if I end up doing that.

When will my invitation arrive? Well, like everything else with PC, it depends. If you are black, for example, then PC will try to put you in a group where there is another black person, so that you're not the only black guy in Kyrgyzstan. Same thing goes if you're gay, older, serving as a married couple, and so on. That's one thing that can complicate placement. Additionally, if you have a medical condition like I do, then your prospective countries are whittled down even more. Your placement officer has to juggle all these things before sending you away for 27 months.

I check the Yahoo! PC group, and people post their own timelines there. From what I gather, people get their invites roughly 3-6 months before departure date, which for me is around Sept./Aug. 2007. So, with any luck, I will be hearing from them as soon as March.